It is understood that future technologies can not be studied in isolation, since the complex interplays between them are so important.
Major research areas are converging, with developments in each field facilitating developments in other fields.
The groupings of technologies can be different.
- One common term is Nano-Bio-Info-Cogno or NBIC for nanotechnology, biotechnologies, information technologies and cognitive technologies.
- Another term is GNR for genetics, nanotechnology and robotics.
- There is a similar version: "GRIN" for genetics, robotics, information technologies and nanotechnology
- Marketing and Entertainment are converging
- Science Fiction and Daily Life are also converging
The ultimate in convergence is the synergy between nanotechnology, computational technologies (IT) and artificial intelligence (related to cognitive tech) that enable each other and together lead to singularity.
- Converging Technologies for Improving Human Performance: Nanotechnology, Biotechnology, Information Technology and Cognitive Science, future technological forecast (free, PDF)
- Domain model of transhumanist technologies